City Hall Marriage License Bureau | NYC Park Permits | Locations & Ceremony Size
Click HERE for our most popular post: a step-by-step guide on How to Elope in New York : how to get a marriage license, find a New York marriage officiant, organize your ceremony, and have your marriage legally registered. See a little more advice HERE,


Central Park - rainy day locations

Here is a couple on a SUNNY day under the archway at the Minton Terrace, which leads to the Bethesda Fountain. The terrace has been restored, and it provides welcome shelter from sun and rain, and a dramatic frame. It's rather crowded on a summer weekend, of course - but worth remembering. The lovely photograph is by Michael Skoglund


Wagner Park - lovely views for small weddings, and Gigino's Restaurarnt

Here's a picture I took from Wagner Park, at the foot of Manhattan, to the West of Battery Park, looking out to the Statue of Liberty. It's a great spot for weddings, and often overlooked. Relatively quiet during the week, great restaurant under the bridge for celebrating (Giginos) and a bit of shelter in case of a sprinkle under the walkway.

UK residents and Marriage License registration

I got an email back from the British Embassy regarding UK residents and US marriage licenses. It confirms my understanding that UK residents do NOT need an apostille stamp. They ask UK residents to "Please visit the official web site of UK DirectGov at "Registering Life Events". See: Registering an Oversea Marriage.

Note, you can also send your original NY license (once you get it in the mail from the NY City Clerk) to the GRO (General Registry Office) and they will register your marriage in perpetuity in the UK.


Marriage License: You have to get your marriage license IN NEW YORK to get married IN NEW YORK

There have been a rash of emails about this topic - not sure if it's the heat wave, but we'll try to explain again:

You must apply for a marriage license IN THE STATE IN WHICH YOU ARE BEING MARRIED. You cannot bring a Texas or New Jersey license to New York. In other words, if you get married in Barbados, you apply for a Barbados license, and get married by a Barbados officiant. If you're being married in NYC, you can apply for a marriage license ANYWHERE IN THE STATE OF NEW YORK, but you must be married by an officiant who is certified by the CITY OF NEW YORK (the 5 boroughs).

Waiting period: The waiting period for a marriage in New York City is 24 hours. That means if you get through the line and get your license stamped at 2:13pm, you can be married after 2:13pm the next day. Of course City Hall is CLOSED on the weekends, so if you apply on Fridays, you'll have to come back on MONDAY to be married at City Hall, or find a certified officiant to marry you on the weekends.

After the wedding, if you need your official marriage license right away (instead of waiting for it come in the mail), you must go BACK to the Manhattan City Hall the next weekday morning with the license, properly signed by yourself, the witnesses and the officiant, and you can get the official certificate for a small fee. This is only possible if you applied for your license at the MANHATTAN office at 141 Worth Street.

More details here:


Plough wind: Central Park trees get hit

Gothamist has pix
100s of trees toppled NY Times.

“It seems like Central Park was essentially the ground zero,” said David Wally, a meteorologist at the National Weather Service’s office in Upton, N.Y., on Long Island. “Manhattan, the Bronx and the northern part of Queens were the primary recipients of the severe weather.” At the height of the storm, shortly after 10 p.m., the city’s Office of Emergency Management reported that more than 100 trees had been felled, with the damage concentrated on the west side of the park near streets in the 90s.

I think it's mostly elms on the Great Hill -- sigh.