City Hall Marriage License Bureau | NYC Park Permits | Locations & Ceremony Size
Click HERE for our most popular post: a step-by-step guide on How to Elope in New York : how to get a marriage license, find a New York marriage officiant, organize your ceremony, and have your marriage legally registered. See a little more advice HERE,


Changing your name: Practical Steps

If eloping is a sudden decision, and you haven't had time to think deeply about changing your surname, we suggest you do NOT change your name on the marriage license, and leave this decision to a later date, perhaps if children arrive. You may always change your name in the future, but you cannot go back and change your marriage license, if you decide that you really didn't want to be Mrs. Rutabaga-Sauerkraut, but were happier staying Ms. Turnip.

Here is the original post with a discussion of whether you should change your name, and how to do it in New York.

If you DO change your name, here are some links to change your official documents:

Social Security form (PDF)
DMV office locations in NY.
[You have to visit the DMV in person, and bring your marriage license]
Passport Office
[You have to send your marriage license and passport - so if you're traveling for your honeymoon, book the travel in your maiden name].

Also change:

Credit Cards
Bank Accounts
Lease, Mortgage
Utility Bills
Health Care
Post Office
Voter registration
Professional associations, memberships